Thursday, August 6, 2009

July 2009 - Touring Savannah

I have decided to tour my hometown. There are so many things to see and do, I have not even begun to reach the tip of the proverbial iceberg (since I am in Savannah, Icebergs are not even close to reality). I will try and share my journey through this international historic city.

Today my tour began at the Gryphon Tea Room. Dottie (my neighbor) and I enjoyed chilled chicken salad with frozen fruit on the side. The portions were feminine but nothing to be sniffed at. The air was filled with history as the warm dark wood and ornate trim told its story.

The apothecary drawers lined the wall as the sunlight filtered threw the stained glass prescription pestle windows. It had the feel of a pub, with the air of an Audrey Hephurn movie. Air and class combined with the strength and character made this a truly enoyable place to visit. Orchid and magnolia prints lined behind the counter where a soda jerk once stoof. Orange chairs gave a whimsical Alice in Wonderland feel. Almost too small, they made you perch on the edge until you begin to chat and relize you have just spent hours there.

When we had first walked in the door we were greated by high ceilings, granite round cafe tables, square granite tables that remind you of your grandmother's treadle sewing machine. The splash of color of the orange chairs, the subtle green of the striped fabric ceiling draw your eye heavenward. A huge chandelier encased behind a massive shade only serves to pique your curiosity further.

The visit was lovely and I look forward to going again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment